- Provider has adopted this Policy in accordance with privacy law.
- This Policy outlines how Provider deals with Personal Information, which it collects in conjunction with the Services.
- As a general proposition, Individuals should be aware that the Service is merely a gateway or usability layer for the OpenBazaar Network and Bitcoin. Both of those distributed networks rely on publicly distributed and disclosed information. Apart from the credentials and information used to create an account to use the Services, Individuals should assume that any other Personal information disclosed will be copied to those distributed networks, and therefore irreversibly disclosed and publicly available.
- Provider may also collect information about Individuals who do not use the Services.
- Capitalised words in this Policy are defined terms. Defined terms are explained at the end of this Policy.
2. Collecting information directly from people
Provider collects Personal Information directly when an Individual:
- contacts Provider by telephone, email or another form of communication;
- downloads the Provider’s app;
- gives Provider his or her information in person on a paper form;
- sends the Provider a message through SMS or a third party app;
- registers or subscribes for an account;
- posts content on the Services;
- accesses the Provider’s website, which will likely save a cookie on the Individual’s device, as well as log activity;
- accesses the Service. Provider will likely log the IP address of the Individuals device, as well as log activity;
- by opening the Service, sends Provider details regarding operating system, model number, manufacturer and other information; or
- enters his or her mailing address into Provider’s app.
3. Collecting information from elsewhere
Provider collects Personal Information about Individuals from third parties when:
- third parties give Provider access to files containing Personal Information;
- Provider conducts research on Individuals, including potential customers and user ratings on other sites; and
- Provider collects information about Individuals and Organisations operating on the OpenBazaar Network and Bitcoin networks.
4. Types of Information that Provider collects and holds
Using processes described in this Policy, Provider collects the following categories of Personal Information about Individuals:
- (Content) whatever Personal Information is included in content Individuals enter using Provider’s Services;
- (Identity Information) name, signature, country, bitcoin wallet addresses, usernames, unique device identifier generated by the Provider;
- (Contact Information) email address, social media profiles, telephone, third-party usernames, residential and postal addresses;
- (Behaviour Information) habits, movements, trends, decisions, associations, memberships, followed users, purchases; and
- (Internet Data) webpage and OpenBazaar Network item views, mobile device model and maker, IP address, referring web site addresses, location, browser type, operating system, domain name, access times and other data typically collected by analytics services like Google Analytics.
5. How Provider stores Personal Information
Provider holds and stores Personal Information:
- using cloud based data storage services such as Amazon Web Services, including applications and software; and
- on the Individuals devices.
Provider will take reasonable precautions to protect Personal Information from unauthorised access. This includes measures to secure the Provider’s physical facilities and electronic networks.
Provider secures Personal Information that Provider collects with credentials, passwords, pins, encryption, session expiry, firewalls, SSL network encryption, and through the use of reputable vendors.
For more information on security, please contact Provider using the details in the “contacting us” below.
7. Deletion procedures
Provider depersonalises Personal Information when an Individual closes his or her account with the Provider.
8. Why data is held, used and disclosed
Provider’s handling of Personal Information includes holding, using and sometimes sharing the Personal Information so that Provider can:
- provide functionality within the Services;
- provide notifications and support;
- offer marketing and promotions, surveys and questionnaires;
- facilitate transactions between Individuals and process payments;
- assess and improve the Services; and
- provide secure access to the Services.
9. Handling of data
Some collection, holding, use and disclosure of information happens simply by virtue of Individuals and Organisations using the Services.
The purpose of the Service is to allow Provider, Organisations and Individuals to enter, manage and communicate information, including Personal Information, relating to the use of OpenBazaar through the app.
The Service’s purpose is also to allow Provider and its Organisations to analyse data that accumulates through the use of the Service.
10. Disclosing Personal Information
Provider shares Personal Information with others in the following ways:
- displaying information about Individuals on pages, profiles, walls, and accounts;
- publishing details about Individuals in their pages on Provider’s website;
- sharing profile and activity information with social networks, and posting to those social networks if Individuals have given permission for this to occur;
- showing usernames and contact details on forums, comments, messages and correspondence;
- sharing bitcoin, username and postal information on the OpenBazaar Network; and
- facilitating the sharing of information about sales, inquiries and payments.
11. Service providers can access personal information
When Provider uses the services of companies that Provider works with to provide the Services, they may get access to the Provider’s data, including Personal Information. Such third party services may include:
- (Hosting) Cloud and web hosting service providers such as Amazon Web Services;
- (SaaS) providers of software as a service;
- (Support) providers of IT support services, web and software development;
- (Data analytics) Google Analytics (see http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/);
- (Online payment) providers of online payment systems including bitcoin;
These third parties may have their own privacy and security policies. For more information about this, please contact Provider using the details listed in the “contacting us” section below.
For information on disclosures to overseas recipients, see below.
12. Disclosing information overseas
The Provider may store or process some Personal Information overseas. Individuals may not have the same rights relating to their information when it is overseas as they would under Australian privacy law.
If Individuals consent to such transfer, Provider will not be accountable for overseas recipients’ handling of their Personal Information.
13. Contacting us
Individuals may edit content and account details within the Services.
However, Individuals can also contact the Provider using the details below if they want to access, correct or delete Personal Information or lodge a complaint.
Provider reserves the right to refuse access or correction where there are reasonable grounds for doing so, for example if providing access would be unlawful or would compromise the privacy of another person.
14. Complaints process
If Individuals have a complaint about privacy, they can contact Provider using the details listed above.
Provider will respond to complaints in writing within a reasonable period (usually 10 business days from the day Provider receives an email).
Provider will try to work with Individuals to resolve complaints entirely within 20 business days, although that period may be longer if it is reasonable to take longer given the nature of the complaint.
If Individuals are unsatisfied with our response, they may refer the complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (http://www.oaic.gov.au/).
means the electronic denomination operating under the protocols described at https://bitcoin.org/en/.
means a natural person.
means a distributed network of buyers and sellers, operating under the principles and protocols described at https://openbazaar.org/.
means third party Organisations using the Services including IT providers, hosting providers and other parties.
means information about an Individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from that information. This includes information like names, telephone numbers, email addresses and physical addresses.
means this document, drafted in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
means Gzook Pty Ltd.
means “Bazaar Hound”, the mobile device application and associated services.